What is AmeriCorps?
A domestic version of the Peace Corps, AmeriCorps is a federal program that places thousands of people into intensive service positions where they learn valuable skills, earn money for education, and develop a strong sense of civic responsibility. Every year, Habitat for Humanity Greater Los Angeles (Habitat LA) hires a number of AmeriCorps members in various positions, all of whom help further our mission of building safe, decent, affordable housing for hardworking families.
Some of our AmeriCorps members work on our construction sites; others work behind the scenes in our offices. Many of our past AmeriCorps members have gone on to join our staff. Opportunities are available year-round, but most positions are posted in the spring and fall.
Why Habitat AmeriCorps?
In addition to helping strengthen communities and families, your AmeriCorps service: Raises your awareness of the social issues that face your community; gives you an opportunity to learn new skills and develop confidence; helps you gain hands-on project management experience; increases your knowledge of service and engagement and improves your performance at a future job.
- AmeriCorps National
A complete term of service lasts 46.5 weeks or approximately 10.5 months in which you pledge to compete 1,700 service hours.
- AmeriCorps VISTA
A complete term of service lasts one year, where you typically serve about 40 hours each week.
- A living allowance minimum of $13,992 for a full 46.5 weeks of service.
- The Segal Education Award of $5,920.
- The education award is good for seven years from the end of service and can be used to repay your qualified student loans or for your future education at eligible schools. National members age 55 and older at the start of service may be eligible to transfer the award to certain family members.
- Note: there is a lifetime maximum of two Segal Education Awards.
- Possible forbearance of your qualified student loan, including accrued interest payments after the successful completion of your service.
- Health benefits– All incoming AmeriCorps members are automatically enrolled in the AmeriCorps Healthcare Benefits Plan at no cost. It covers most non-routine medical services, limited preventative care visits (such as an annual ob-gyn visit for women), medical emergencies, surgical, and hospitalization expenses, and certain prescription drug costs. It is not insurance, but rather a basic health benefit package, and will not satisfy the individual responsibility requirement of the ACA.
- Childcare benefits, if you qualify.
- Inclusion in a Member Assistance Program that offers counseling and financial planning resources.
- Worker’s compensation.
We are recruiting for AmeriCorps Members to serve in the following positions:
We do not currently have any AmeriCorps positions available. Please check back for future listings.
For additional information about the Habitat AmeriCorps program, or to apply, please click here.