Take Action! Be the Change! Build Louder!
At Habitat for Humanity Greater Los Angeles (Habitat LA), we know that a family should never have to spend more than 30 percent of their income on a home. But consider that today nearly 19 million U.S. households pay half or more of their income on a place to live. In California, 1 in 5 households spend half or more of their income on housing. That is why we challenge government, faith communities, corporations and volunteers to raise their voices to develop public policy solutions to address the housing crisis here in Los Angeles County and across the globe! Habitat LA uses our voice to advocate alongside people in need of decent housing by working to change laws and shape policies that affect access to housing. Through our collective advocacy efforts, we seek to policy and systems change that eliminate barriers to adequate, affordable housing.
Why and How Habitat LA Advocates
Did you know?
- 1 in 5 households spend more than half of their income on housing.
- 29% of renters and 14% of homeowners spend more than half of their income on housing in California.
- Most qualified California households cannot access rental assistance.
- 491,000 of low-income households receive rental assistance.
- 1,652,000 of low-income households go unassisted.
- 77% of extremely-low-income households spend more than half of their income on housing.
- 48% of very-low-income households spend more than half of their income on housing.
- 18% of low-income households spend more than half of their income on housing.
How You Can Help!
To advance its advocacy agenda, Habitat LA encourages its volunteers, donors, friends and supporters to contact their elected representatives to share the impact that safe, sustainable and affordable homes have on millions of Americans each year and urge responsible policies that will address the serious lack of affordable housing.
Become a Habitat LA Ambassador! Raise your hammer and your voice to call attention about the need for safe, sustainable and affordable housing for all. Sign up here for periodic action alerts and important updates; invitations to advocacy events and opportunities to voice your support.
More ways to support:
Make Your Vote Count This Election!
Join Habitat in calling on candidates and elected officials at all levels of government to have robust housing plans to improve home affordability and promote housing stability. By pledging to vote to make the #CostOfHome affordable in this November’s elections, you’ll help ensure every family has a stable place to call home when it matters most. Read more about the #CostOfHome and learn how you can act now.
Make The Pledge
Non-Profit Lobbying: A Protected Right
The U.S. Constitution, Congress and the IRS protect the rights of non-profits to engage in advocacy and legislative lobbying. For more information about Federal Rights, click here.
- The State of the Nation’s Housing– The State of the Nation’s Housing – Joint Center for Housing Studies of Harvard University, 2019.
- National Housing Conference – National Housing Conference, which provides “Paycheck to Paycheck” site where you can see how the wages of various jobs compare to the costs of home in 200+ municipalities
- State of California Legislative Issues
Legislative Issues/ Updates
Learn about current public policies aimed at restoring a dedicated funding source for affordable housing. We’ll help you stay informed so you can hold your local officials accountable.