The Cornerstone Construction training course
is an intensive, hands-on introduction to the basic construction skills used on our sites. It is ideal for those who want to enhance their contribution as Habitat volunteers.
During the class we cover hand tools and power tools, framing, siding, drywall, installing interior trim (case and base), caulking and painting. You will get dirty! You will use muscles you haven’t used in a long time, if ever!
The course is taught by Habitat site supervisors and highly skilled volunteers knowledgeable in proper methods and tricks of the trade.
I wanted to learn. And boy did I learn. . . . I now feel like I have a solid foundation to be able to march over to any site and make a difference. Cornerstone training gave me that confidence. - Kenia Perez, Cornerstone Graduate, November 19, 2010
- Volunteer on a Habitat site at least one time before the class begins.
- Commit to attend at least 10 of the 12 training sessions. (Saturdays count as 2 sessions.) The first night is mandatory.
- Volunteer with HFH GLA at least six days in the year after completing the course.
- Pay a $50 registration fee (covers construction supplies and materials).
Two nights per week, 6 – 9 p.m., plus Saturdays, 8 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
(Nights count as 1 session each; Saturdays as 2 sessions.)
Evening classes are held at the Habitat for Humanity of Greater Los Angeles Housing Center for Excellence (969 Sandhill Avenue, Carson, CA 90746). Saturday classes are held at active build sites coordinated with the program.
We will send an email to those on the “Cornerstone Construction Training – Interest List” as each class becomes available for registration. To add your name to the interest list, see the sign-up instructions below.
For more information and to sign up:
- Click Here to go to our Volunteer Sign Up screen.
- Select the listing of your choice.
- Click on the black “SIGN UP!” button on the right side of the screen.
- Answer the question on the Welcome page.
- Enter/check your profile information and continue.
- Go to the sign-up page
- Look for Training Programs at the bottom of the list and click on your selection.